While the 2018 volcanic eruption has ended, there are a few notable changes to our beautiful island. Hawaii Volcano National Park has seen it’s fair share of those changes. A few of the parks once popular attractions remain closed, but many of their one of a kind hiking trails are open. There’s a little something for everyone if you’re looking to experience what this special place has to offer. The open trails range from easy to challenging. No matter if you’re a solo, intrepid, adventurer, or a family of all ages and abilities, you can all enjoy the national park.
Trails open in 2019
- Ha`akulamanu (Sulphur Banks)
- Difficulty: Easy, 1.2 miles
- Halema`uma`u Trail
- Difficulty: Moderate, 1.8 miles
- Kilauea Iki Trail
- Difficulty: Moderate-Challenging (steep/rocky descent and ascent) 4.8 miles
- Devastation Trail
- Difficulty- Easy, 1 mile- wheelchair & stroller accessible
- Crater Rim Trail
- Dfficulty: Easy- accessible from multiple points along Crater Rim Drive
- Difficulty: Easy- 2 routes to take, one is 0.7 miles, one is 0.8 miles
- Kipukapuaulu (Bird Park)
- Difficulty: Easy- 1.2 miles (located off Highway 11, south of main park entrance)
What to expect
Each of these trails is unique in their own way and will take you through a few of the different landscapes found in Hawaii. Our tropical weather can change rapidly, and it’s generally a good idea to prepare for the unexpected. Bringing a hat/sunglasses, sunscreen, and comfortable clothing will help set you up for success. Rain gear is always a good idea, especially on the leeward (East) side of the island. Many areas of Hawaii Volcano National park are locate at around 4000 feet in elevation and that means it can get chilly, so plan accordingly. Staying hydrated is essential on day hikes, so bring some water or a bottle you can fill at the national park. There are a few places in Volcano Village you can stop off for snacks, or a pre/post hike meal.
You can find full descriptions of these hikes here.
Staying with us at Volcano Inn? We offer complimentary breakfast to help you start your day off right. After your adventures, you can soak in our 24 hour saltwater hot tubs to help get back to your RnR. Learn more about our rooms and accommodations here.